You may feel like there aren’t really many options to choose from when buying the best welding helmet. This can be especially true if you haven’t done much research.
However, if you take the time to go a bit deeper into finding out the important things about welding helmets that you need to know before going for one, you will probably be in a much better position to end up with the welding helmet based on your needs.
We will be taking a look at such important factors, so that you can take a well informed decision.
Let’s take a look at the best welding helmet and compare their important features, ratings, read customer reviews and top selling trusted brands. So it can help you choose what is the best and get the latest deal!
Best Welding Helmet Comparison Table:
|S.No.||Model Name||Auto darkening||Viewing field size||Shade Range||Reaction Time||Weight||Ratings||Price|
W70 BH3 Grand DS
|Yes||3.8" x 2.7"||From 9 to 13||0.15 milliseconds||562 g||4.7||Check Price|
Welding Helmet 9100
|Yes||2.8" x 4.2"||5, from 8 to 13||0.1 milliseconds||948 g||4.6||Check Price|
|Yes||3.74" x 3.34"||DIN 6 to 13 with Grind||40 microseconds||567 g||4.5||Check Price|
|#4||Black Digital Elite||Yes||3.85" x 2.38"||8 to 13||50 microseconds||482 g||4.6||Check Price|
|#5||Antra AH6-660-6217||Yes||3.78" x 2.5"||4/5-9/9-13||0.00004 seconds||450 g||4.4||Check Price|
|#6||Miller 251292 Classic Series||Yes||3.75" x 1.375"||8-12||0.0001 seconds||454 g||4.7||Check Price|
|#7||Rhino Large View|
Carbon Fiber RH01
|Yes||4" x 2.6"||9-13||40 microseconds||816 g||4.3||Check Price|
|#8||ArcPro 20704||Yes||3.78" x 2.07"||9-13||0.04 seconds||544 g||4.5||Check Price|
|#9||Forney 55678||Yes||3.86" x 2.17"||9-13||0.00003 second||816 g||4.9||Check Price|
Best Welding Helmet 2019 – Buyer’s Guide & Reviews
#1 Antra AH6-660-6213 Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet Review
For your entire arc welding processes, the Antra AH6-660-6213 Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet presented by Antra is a perfect fit. With its superb design, it protects your face from splatter, harmful radiation and sparks from normal welding conditions.
Not only does this helmet automatically change from light to dark when striking an arc, it is available at an affordable price with some of the latest technology features.
- The Antra AH6-660-6213 Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet changing from a dark state to a clear state once welding stops saving you time and ease of use when welding
- The welding helmet comes ready to use and only requires the removal of the protective film on the lens and an adjustment position for your head and ready to work
- It comes with a shade number and grinding mode selection knob and one can set it from dark to light depending on the welding you are doing and one can set it from 9 – 13 different shades
- Comes with an adjustable headband and works with a turning ratcheting headband knob and tightens with a tension adjustment knob for a comfortable fit on the side of the helmet keeping it secure in place
- The Antra AH6-660-6213 Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet works with solar power with changeable batteries and a battery lifetime of up to 6 years
- Provides one with sensitivity and time delay operation once the welding is started and changes from dark to clear automatically
- The helmet only weighs 1.3 lbs and fairly lightweight
- Comes with a 90-day warranty
- The auto darkening helmets only designed for arc welding and not for TIG welding, Plasma cutting or laser Oxyacetylene cutting/welding
- Although solar-powered the batteries are not rechargeable
- Does not provide a long warranty compared to other product brands on the market
Taking all the above mentioned into consideration, the Adjustable Shade Auto-Darkening welding helmet provides one with a 1/20,000 second switching speed and great for heavy-duty arc welding with variable shade control. It presents you with an optical view of 6 square inches and comes with an automatic power on/off adjustable delay time switch saving one time when used.
What Makes The Antra AH6-660-6213 Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet Unique?
As a normal arc, welding helmet the Antra AH6-660-6213 may be basic but has some unique features that make it an exceptional headgear when used while welding. The helmet provides you with auto-darkening features and ready to use. With an easily adjustable headband and different shade number applications, you are ready to start working in no time.
With the superb shade control, one can choose from 9 – 13 shade settings for different arc welding jobs. The lens darkens evenly once you strike an arc and adjusts easily to a comfortable position on your face with the adjusting headband and a turn of the provided ratcheting headband knob provides a secure fit.
There are two tension adjustment knobs on both sides of the helmet and provides you with sensitivity and time delay adjustments that automatically filters the screen to change to dark once you start working. This is a great feature as you can diverge the entire time it takes for the welder helmet filter to return to a clear state. The helmet carries an ANSI Z87.1-2003 rating for safety with a 1/20,000 second speed.
The best affordable Antra welding helmet
The Antra AH6-660-6213 Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet may not be digitized or designed for TIG welding, but provides both entry-level and professional welders with an auto-darkening feature that is time-consuming when one is busy all day. Operated with solar cells, it has two built-in lithium batteries for power backup and requires no change of batteries lasting up to 6-years of use. Standard certified ANSI makes this a safe welding helmet for normal arc welding at an affordable price.
#2 Antra AH6-660-101S Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet Review
When it comes to solar powered welding helmets, they are very resourceful as they consume less energy and produce high results when doing welding jobs like the Antra AH6-660-101S Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet. It is a popular helmet for a good reason as many customers are pleased with it and have the following to say:
- The Antra AH6-660-101S is reasonably priced when compared to most other trademarks
- It comes with adjustable knobs that are great when working with different kinds of welding jobs and in need of certain adjustments
- Comes with replaceable batteries that are great compared to those with built-in ones saving loads of money
- It is an auto darkening welding helmet that is great when used and helps to detect light beams protecting your face, neck, and eyes that are time-saving as well
- You can set the sensitivity on the helmet to a not darkening and great when used for grinding
- The helmet is light and comfortable when wearing
- As the welding helmet is very light many feel that it will not withstand the abuse during welding and needs to be taken care off
- The other concern is the plastic nuts that hold the helmet keeps loosening and many recommend replacing them with steel bolts
- The viewing screen is a bit smaller than other units
The Antra AH6-660-101S is an auto darkening welding helmet made of different shades with easily adjustable knobs and great when used while working. The helmets designed for different types of work, MIG, TIG, SMAW, Plasma Arc, and SMAW. Even in the event of a power failure, this helmet remains protected against IR and UV radiation and fully automatic powered with a cheater lens making for a great companion when doing Arc welding.
The Welding Helmet with Some Flawless Features
This auto darkening welding helmet has some flawless features that are both important and beneficial for you packed with a number of shades. One can easily adjust the sensitivity of this helmet without removing it making it superb when one looks at the price range.
It has a large viewing glass when compared to other models and is 3.8 x 1.78-inches and 3.78 x 2.5-inches. It has a cheater lens that works as a magnifying glass and helps you to focus while working in viewing small welding jobs. The sensitivity knobs are adjustable immediately in the adjustment while welding various types of materials.
A fully automatic welding helmet has an on/off switch made with polyamide nylon material that carries an ANSI Z87.1/DIN/EN397 CSA Z94.3 standard certification approval. The lenses on the inside are AntFi X60-6 with shade range 4/5-9/9-13 that is great for plasma cutting processes.
If you are looking for a welding helmet to do different types of Arc welding the Antra AH6-660-101S Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet is the best one available on the market. It comes in a stylish design and lightweight when placed on the head. It is an affordable helmet with a one-year limited warranty selling at a great price.
#3 Jackson Safety BH3 Auto Darkening Welding Helmet with Balder Technology Review
Looking for a gold standard welding helmet – you need the Jackson Safety BH3 auto darkening welding helmet that uses Balder technology with a high-value optical rating. A helmet in a league of its own and the only one that carries a 5-year limited warranty. The Jackson BH3 is powered by a solar cell and requires no battery changes while presenting you with 3 headgear adjustments and suitable for any type of welding job.
- The Jackson Safety BH3 provides you with a clear view when welding
- It is made with quality material and durable to last for years
- It has an artistic design, making it a fashionable helmet with remarkable visual appeal
- Comes with a five-year limited warranty
- Affordably priced for all the features you receive
- It is a comfortable welding helmet
- It is solar powered and required no battery changing
- One does not receive the test button included, thus making it difficult to tell if the sensors are working as well as it should
- The helmet only darkens when receiving light from a light bulb or welding arc and not when used in natural sunlight outside
- For some a bit on the pricey side
The Jackson BH3 is a great welding helmet for any professional welder looking for durability and quality in auto darkening. It offers you the best optical clarity with the Balder Technology and manufactured in compliance with the EN379 standards. Furthermore, once you place this helmet on your head you are ready to start working.
A Superior Auto Darkening Welding Helmet
The Jackson Safety BH3 auto darkening welding helmet is superior in its brand and complies with several standards such as ANSI Z81.7 and EN379. Not only is it certified in the latter it is also DIN Plus and CE certified providing you with protection where you need it the most around the neck and face.
Created with Balder Technology – the helmets one of the best available and provides you with enhanced visibilities with a wide-angle view when working. Not only is it a comfortable helmet to wear it is lightweight when on your head, but also provide protection for your entire face. The welding helmets designed with a curved front cover plate, preventing fogging and reflection when working.
The lenses are blue-tinted with a high quality optical rating and the best available in the market. With the auto-darkening feature, it is highly wavelength-specific that helps to make sure that the helmet darkens once striking a welding arc. Although does not darken with sunlight or a light bulb and requires no removing of the helmet.
The welding helmets constructed for protection to stop heat upsurge with an aerodynamic design, preventing fume build up while lenses do not fog up and available with 3 headgear adjustment to suit your needs.
Great value for money spent
The Jackson Safety BH3 auto darkening welding helmet is a great option for any type of welder who needs the clearest view while working. It provides ultimate protection to the eyes and face with the technology used, although on the expensive side you will get value for the money that you spend on it. It is a superb safety helmet and money well spent.
#4 Miller 251292 Classic Series 8-12 Variable Shade Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet Review
When it comes to quality and innovation one needs the Miller 251292 Classic Series auto-darkening welding helmet to fulfill all your needs when working. This helmet intended for the weekend warriors and hobbyists. It is packed with features and inexpensive and yet a trustworthy helmet when it comes to safety, durability, ease of use and time saving.
- Superb Viewing Area – as the viewing area is a major factor one cannot go wrong with the Miller 251292 as it provides one with 5.15 square inches making it perfect for any welder
- Designed with delay control – with the delay control you can adjust the time of the welding helmet light state and helpful when tack welding and features different types of welding processes one can use
- TIG rating function – this indicator is superb and provides one with a 20 amp rating that helps this hood function superbly
- The welding helmet is ready-to-go – one receives a clear instruction manual and with some basic settings it only requires a headband adjustment and you are ready to start working
- Great battery life – with the auto-on/off control it helps provide extended battery life as the lenses activate once you start welding prevent flashes at the same time from affecting your face and eyes
- Great for older and nearsighted welders – the magnifying lens holder is great to ensure that one sees the weld arc puddle with ample clarity when used
- Great warranty – all Miller welding helmets carry a 2-year warranty
- Although solar powered one has a problem with the auto darkening welding helmet at night, especially if one has forgotten to charge the batteries and needs to be charged at all times
- The Miller 251292 does not come with cut and grind mode, however, works well for MIG and TIG mode
- The welding masks designed for light-duty welding and not designed for heavy-duty work
The Miller 251292 Classic Series has all the necessary features required for hobbyists and welders who need to do light-duty welding. This classy helmet is superb with its auto darkening quality-providing welders with 1/10,000 of second lens speed, and perfect for those unconstrained working areas. It is a reasonably priced dependable headgear for under $100 and one of the best welding helmets for weekend warriors.
Reasons why you should buy the Miller 251292
There are many reasons why you should buy the Miller welding helmet as it is durable, easy to use, and provides one with some great features in welding headgear. It provides one with delay and sensitivity adjustments that are programmable. One can program it to slow or fast all depending on the work you are doing and the surroundings you find yourself working in and many of the best auto-darkening helmets in other brands lack this feature.
The helmets designed lightweight preventing stiff necks when working with it on throughout the day. Constructed with a lightweight frame, it only weighs 33.6 ounces. While the helmet offers you, auto darkening variable shade it ranges between 8 – 12 shades with a 3 light state shade. One can optimize the provided shades when welding thick materials while lessening when MIG or TIG welding.
Another great feature is the arc sensitivity that one can alter making sure that it blackens when you need it and available with two sensors. It operates with solar-power cells and auto-on/off front recharging solar cells to help extend battery life. It has ergonomically designed controls on the side of the welding helmet.
Moreover, when it comes to maintenance the helmets preinstalled with an outer and inner lens cover and one received five additional spare front covers with two inner covers included for later use.
Invest today in quality
The Miller 251292 Classic Series 8-12 Variable Shade Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet is a superb investment, as you receive a durable helmet with superb delay sensitivity adjustments, and wide viewing area. For the price, it is still affordable when compared to other trademarks in auto darkening welding helmets.
#5 Huntsman® W20 490P Fiber Shell Welding Helmet Review
As all welders know one needs protection in the face and neck when it comes to welding. Furthermore, if you do not mind looking like the iron mask man the Huntsman® W20 490P Fiber Shell Welding Helmet is a great helmet. It is a basic welding helmet at an affordable price and not over-engineered as many other trademarks. While not being over-engineered it focuses on no-fuss features that one needs to keep your most prized possession out of harm’s way.
- Environmentally friendly for both you and the environment – the Huntsman is made of recycled carbon fiber, making it a durable but still an environmentally friendly product
- It is lightweight – it only weighs 2.3 lbs making it one of the lightest and most comfortable helmets compared to most other trademarks available and one can wear it all day without straining your neck
- Has a small and sleek design – the welding helmet has a quick-slide filter plate and perfect for working in smaller working areas where space is limited
- Designed with tremendous heat resistance, keeping you fresh and cool all day
- Switch easily between lenses without taking off your gloves providing enough protection for your eyes and great for grinding work as well
- An all round helmet designed for heavy-duty welding
- Provides one with an auto darkening welding helmet capability by inserting auto-darkening inserts
- Inexpensive and does not cost a fortune and a great entry-level welding helmet and superbly for professionals as well
- The Huntsman W20 is not designed for overhead working and not designed for the purpose, however, many users have reported that it is possible with some careful consideration
- Has no auto-darkening features, however, is upgradable with additional auto-darkening inserts
- Does not come with a flip up lens and takes a bit longer to inspect work, however, makes this helmet smaller and compact when compared to flip-up models
- Not high on style as it does not have a glossy finish or range of colors to choose, however, when it comes to functionality it is much more important than looks
Although the Huntsman W20 is a basic model in the range of welding helmets and does not have bells and whistles, you are receiving quality and have stood the test of time when used as it is durable, easy to use, and presents one with upgradable features.
Reasons why the Huntsman W20 is a Great Welding Helmet
If you are looking for a straightforward welding helmet you need the Huntsman® W20 490P Fiber Shell Welding Helmet. This welding helmet provides one with some great reasons as to why it is the best.
For one, the helmet is reasonably priced and offers you with quality, especially if you are new to welding and superb value for money if you are a professional welder. Designed with 10% recycled carbon fiber structure makes this helmet durable and safe for both you and the environment. With the provided strength, it provides superb everyday wear and tear to use in the end.
While constructed with carbon fiber the welding helmets lightweight as it only weighs 2.3 lbs and you can wear it all day without getting a stiff neck. The design is small and made for fitting into tight spaces as it has a quick-slide filter plate holder and there is no concern of bumping and scuffing in tight spaces.
This headgear provides you with heat resistance while working as it deflects smoke, heat, particles, keeping your noggin fresh and cooks all day. Moreover, one does not have to remove your gloves to change between the provided welding lenses as it is set to 10 shades providing plenty of protection against welding and grinding. One only needs to swipe the lever on top the welding helmet and as simple as that keeping the helmet on at all times.
The helmets versatile, designed for heavy-duty welding, and made with a sturdy structure for both entry-level welders and professional welders to use with both welding and grinding. Although not made with auto-darkening features the helmets upgradable to use with auto-darkening inserts.
An all round welding helmet
The Huntsman® W20 490P Fiber Shell Welding Helmet is all rounder when it comes to welding jobs as it provides a versatile use for both welding and grinding. It presents you with basic features with not additional bells and whistles at an affordable price with upgradable features for auto darkening purpose. A tough welding helmet at a low price not that commonly found in other brands.
Best Welding Helmet – Ultimate Buying Guide 2019
Before we dive into discovering the important factors you need to know about while trying to find the best welding helmet for you, let us mention the importance of owning one.
Regardless of whether you do welding for a living or it’s just a hobby of yours, a welding helmet is probably one of the most important things that you will need at almost every step of the process.
It not only protects you from those dangerous molten pieces of metal, but also helps you avoid falling prey to the rather common condition faces by many welders known as welder’s eye. It’s caused due to the excessive exposure to U.V. and infrared light that’s given out during the process and a welding helmet protects you against it.
As many don’t really feel that a good welding helmet tends to be a pretty important piece of equipment, they usually go with one that doesn’t cost them much. However, usually, such cheap welding helmets come only with a fixed shade lens, which stays dark all the time.
Now the thing is that though even such welding helmets may help you get the job done, they are far from being effective enough when it comes to examining your work. You may even have to remove it every now and then, which can be annoying and a huge time waster.
On the other hand, nowadays, the modern welding helmets come with an auto darkening lens, which are designed in a very innovative way. They are perfectly sensitive to changing light conditions, and the screen’s brightness can increase or decrease in a fraction of a second, depending on the light conditions. This obviously allows you to work and examine your work at the same time, making everything much more convenient.
Switching speed tends to be a pretty important feature of welding helmets as well. Simply put, it’s actually the time taken for the lens of the helmet to go from their original light state to the darkened state that allows you to start the work. A longer switching speed may cause discomfort to the eye, and may turn out to be a serious problem if you are a professional welder.
The basic welding helmets usually come with a switching speed of 1/3,600 of a second while the professional ones would boast of a switching speed of 1/16,000 of a second. The latter would obviously be the more expensive ones. However, they offer a higher level of comfort for sure, as well as are easy on the eye.
There are a particular type of welding helmets that come with a non replaceable battery and a solar assist panel. They usually require one to charge them using direct sunlight, as well as charging them using electricity for a similar period. The biggest downside of such helmets is that their lens cease working as soon as the battery goes out.
This is the reason helmets coming with a replaceable battery are considered to be a better option. One can simply replace them with a new battery when the old one goes out and they will still probably work as a brand new one.
A final word – There are also many smaller factors that you need to take into account while trying to find the best welding helmet. They include safety standards, helmet weight, sensitivity and controls, and so on. However, as they are pretty much self-explanatory, it shouldn’t really be a problem to understand them.
In Conclusion To Best Welding Helmet:
So, that’s all about Welding Helmets and its Guide. Tell us which helmet you did choose and why. If we are missing any helmet you consider to be listed here, we would be happy to hear from you. Thanks for visiting and giving us your valuable time. Thanks.